Wednesday, August 27, 2008

*really* sleeping through the night

While we were visiting the MIL, I tried to keep N. on the same schedule as much as possible, taking into account the hour time difference, and for the most part it worked. He was nursing and going to sleep at the exact same time (11PM Canadian time, 10PM US time), and getting up at about the same time in the morning (7AM/6AM). Most days we woke him up because we had errands to run, or cleaning to do, and it worked out fine.

Once we got back home, I decided to see what would happen if we didn't nudge him awake at that 5-6AM hour to feed. Truth be told, I didn't want to, because waking him at 5AM meant he would go back to sleep, usually until at least 9AM, which meant I was sleeping until at least 9AM).

The result?

The little bugger goes down at 10:30PM, and usually sleeps until 8AM.

So, if I take into account the fact that night feedings mean I'm up for a minimum of an hour (I can't breastfeed in bed, the girls are too big, and he suffocates), I'm actually getting an *extra* 30 minutes of sleep.

He had his 4-month physical on Monday, too, which went really well. He's 16 lb, 9 oz, 25 1/2" long, and a head circ of somewhere around 43.5cm, putting those measurements at the 80th, 70th, and 80th percentiles. I was surprised that he was actually gaining weight faster, but with this new sleeping-through-the-night trick, he's often ending up with one less feeding per day (and doing just fine), so I'm hoping that will level off.

Random photo time: Here's a pic of N. with a pic of Hubby at a similar age. I said from the get-go that N. had Hubby's eyes, and here's the proof; I'm not sure if I still want N.'s eyes to darken to brown, but I guess there's still time.

Daddy's boy


(All images copyright E. Boudreau)

No comments: