Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Hmmmm.

So I was right to suspect that N.'s routine is changing, but I'm not sure if it's temporary.

The past two nights he's been fussy, to the point where he shrieks if we put him down.  I know he's not doing too bad, because most of the time he settles when held, but not always.  Being the brilliant first time mom that I am, it took me forever to decide to check his temperature, which was a little bit elevated from his normal temp.  Nothing to call the pediatrician about, unless it hangs on, but still it was about a half degree higher than usual.  We gave him a tiny bit of acetaminophen, and he calmed down within the hour (without getting drowsy from the medicine, thank heavens; that would've made me feel guilty).

He still woke up for his middle-of-the-night feeding over two hours early, but went right back down when he was finished, and his temperature had returned to normal.  Unfortunately it's screwed with his normal daily routine.  He'd usually be eating right now, but he's been back asleep in his crib for an hour, having fed two hours early.  I'm not sure what it'll mean for bedtime tonight, but we'll go with the flow.

I ended up with about two fewer hours of sleep, but that's not what's bothering me.  It took me a little while to figure it out, but I'm pretty sure it's because I miss him.  Usually now we're having a very chatty morning feeding, and he's up until lunchtime.  I should be knitting (there are no dishes to do, hallelujah), but I'm surfing the net, trying to distract myself from the quiet.

It still amazes me just how much I love him.

No comments: