Monday, October 1, 2007

Updates

I just realized that I forgot to post after my first OB appointment, and that's just not right.

Everything went pretty well, I must say. The only shock (which wasn't really a shock so much as a reality check) was my pre-pregnancy weight. And that's all we'll say about that.

The bottom line is, so far so good. The OB did a quick u/s in the office, and sent us for a second full one based on something he saw. It was a slightly frightening few days in between, even though he tried to be very reassuring. Now, forgive me for getting up on my soapbox, but I have an urge.

When the OB did the u/s, just to check for size and dates, he saw something that he felt was "unusual". He never used the word abnormal, or gave us any reason to think something was wrong, but when he called in a colleague to look, that freaked me out.

The second u/s was scheduled for within 5 days, and they were the longest 5 days of my life. The scan was very thorough, though, and the sonographer very reassuring. She showed the films to the radiologist, and it turns out that what the OB saw was a very normal feature for our gestational age.

Don't get me wrong, I was very happy to get the second scan; the reassurance helped me immensely. My problem in all this is that the OB (who in all other respects is a very good OB/GYN, and I'm happy with him) is NOT a sonographer, and does not have the knowledge to interpret anything past size and date. But, you say, he didn't try to interpret - he sent you to a qualified sonographer. Correct, but perhaps I should've been sent to a sonographer from the get-go, rather than put me through those 5 days of waiting, if it's that important to check size and dates.

*she steps gently down from her platform to signal an abrupt subject change*

We're nearing the date that we're planning on going public with. That part is just as scary. My parents know already, but they're itching to tell some of our close family. *Sigh* I just wish I could be home with them.

No comments: