Monday, March 17, 2008

Oy.

I guess this is what they mean by third trimester exhaustion. It's been nearly a month since I posted, and I have no excuse except that my brain is mush and I'm too tired ;-)

(Right now, it's too late in the day to start the next phase of my experiment, because I don't have the stamina to stay late, so I'm blogging, dammit.)

Let's see, what is there to report? Oh, right.

The shopping. :-)

We've taken two major trips, and between the two outings, we managed to amass everything that seems to be necessary to house this kid when it comes home. Actually, I think we've got way more than that, because I read recently that if you have boobs and a bed, you're set - Baby eats and baby sleeps ;-)

We have a crib set up, since I am way too afraid to co-sleep. No bassinet, because there just isn't room for both, and I figure a bassinet will be outgrown very quickly. We've got a stroller and carseat, a diaper bag and a swing. We have a little bathtub, and a rubber ducky. Our rocking chair *should* be arriving in about a week, although the order is still 'processing'. I indulged in a breastfeeding pillow, and a couple of pieces of clothing to fill in the tiny gaps in what's arrived from home already.

We're really lucky to have our families. Even though we're not living at home, and there won't be a baby shower (both Mom and I have a moral objection to absentee showers - I would feel so guilty), people are still giving Mom stuff to send or bring down to us. A dear old family friend crocheted a lovely baby afghan, and knit two pairs of booties. My Dad's cousin (who is more like his sister) has made us a knit blanket, and bought a half dozen onesies. Mom has sent down everything she had from when we were babies, so we have enough little undershirts and things, along with swaddling flannels and homemade hooded towels, not to mention facecloths and bunting bags. She's saving the gender-specific stuff until we know what Bean is, and then I'll either be innundated with hand sewn dresses or sailor suits :-)

We also found out that one of Hubby's aunts by marriage has been going gangbusters on the outfits. I've met this woman a few times, and we have a *complete* language barrier between us; the funny thing is, the last time we visited, she and I had a "conversation" for an hour and a half about knitting :-) My mother in law told us that Aunt G. had made a little knitted outfit, and had enough yarn left over that she decided to supplement it with a hat and booties. Then we come to find out that she's made socks (and possibly sweaters) in 3 or 4 sizes, so we'll have one as Bean grows through each stage.

One of my best friends at home also sent me a "baby shower in a box", which had a tiny bit of lots of different things - a tube of diaper cream, a tiny pack of washcloths, a paci clip, a rattle, a bib, a pair of socks, etc. all wrapped individually and put into a shoebox. It made for such a fun experience, opening each little package. I know it kills her that we're so far away, but I try to send her pics as often as I can, and keep her updated on what it's like to go through pregnancy. She's getting married in October, and we can't wait to go home for the wedding.

I can't believe that there are only five more weeks left. I have all of the material things that I could need or want, but they're not what's bursting at the seams. I'm bursting to meet this little person, see who's been bruising my ribs, hold the little feet that make my belly jiggle and my husband giggle like a five-year old. Don't wait too long, Bean!

No comments: